We all have a few clients who damage their own nails, and maybe don't
even realize they've done it.  You always know who they are because
it's always the same nails that are damaged, or they are the only
client who comes in with that particular brand of damage.  My way of
handling it is to acknowledge that it's unusual and ask her to watch
what she's doing that could "contribute" to the problem.  Then I wait
(this is the part where if you give them enough rope, eventually
they'll hang themselves) and it always comes out.

I have a new one right now, I put a set on her several weeks ago, she
came back with all of them gone.  Now, I want to keep this client,
she's not acknowledging that she wrecked them so I just said the
usual "Now that's odd" and gave her a new set.  I charged the price
of a 3 week fill ($40) and rebooked her for 2 1/2 weeks (also booked
her for Bling toes).  I'm seeing her for the toes today.  So, if the
nails are in bad shape today the investigation begins.  I'll open
with questioning her about what she's been doing (she will think I'm
just interested in her life, she will not know I'm looking for a
confession) and eventually I'll figure out what she's doing.  Maybe
I'll get lucky and catch her with her fingers in her mouth.  I like a
challenge!

This client also is showing signs of being one of the chronically
late people.....I hate that, but one step at a time with her.  Once I
get the damaged nails problem resolved I'll start working on this
being late problem.

Holly
Vancouver, BC
hcli...@shaw.ca