Aimee,

This is a problem I agree.. its not just this word of mouth thing, but it is also the advertising words used "no chip", "2 weeks or more" that perpetuate the thinking process. Absolutely we have to control the clients exceptions! Remember YOU are the well educated professional.

It is our job to make sure the client has a full understanding of the expectations of the service. They need to be clear on the fact that not everyone can remove their acrylics or gels, move to a UVGP product and immediately have great results. Some will have good results, some quicker than others, some never (that one with the ski jump nails ya'll were talking about last week for example).

I would consider a UVGP application more of a traditional polish replacement for your natural nail clients than an alternative for enhancements..

So that said, and I am sure you knew all that, I have been staying away from the words "no-chip", it seems to lead them to believe their nails are indestructible! A quality consultation should help you decide what will work best for her!

I have a heart to heart with them. I first off state: "with all due respect to your friends idea of what a gel polish application is, the information she gave you may not be 100% correct for a number of reasons". Depending on her response (how receptive she is to that comment) I will go deeper or not.

I would tell them this will last much longer than polish, but I never say 2 weeks because they will hold you to that. I never say it won't chip because it might on them and they will hold you to that. I tell them Its just an improved version of nail polish, that it will stay longer on MOST people than regular polish. I might go deeper if she is open to listening about how it is possible her friend does not really have a UV Gel Polish, but a soak off or even a hard gel.

This boils down to good customer service - whether it is a current or prospective client. Get her talking, engage her... Ask what her expectations are of service SHE thinks she wants. Now you need to inquire about her day to day habits, is she a teacher (chalk is very drying to hands & nails), likes to garden (lots of opportunity for breaks). Given the information she provides to you, YOU should recommend a service and ongoing maintenance that will suit her and her life style. Some women prefer to NOT do enhancements, but after seeing her nails and your consultation is done, you know she is not a good candidate for the gel polish application she thought she wanted. Now you will have to play salesman, explaining that you use quality products for the best results and in your professional opinion you feel she would get the best results with.. whatever you think - be it a UVGP, a UVGP with a hard gel base or an enhancement application.

I hope that helps!

Lorraine, webgirl

www.ManicuresThatLast.com  <<-- Eco So Quick UV Gel Polish & CinaPro Nail Art
www.ScentualSpaProducts.com  <<--Enhance the Spa Experience