"And with today's internet market... maintaining a website and doing social
media can be expensive too, and time consuming."

Marketing has become quite a conumdrum for me. The local paper that I enjoyed
advertising with, that reached the demographic I wanted to target, went under
about a year ago. Leaving me with print options of the local Thrify Nickel or
the general circulation newpaper that is ridiculously priced for a single day
run.

The Yellow pages are dead. They are a total waste of good money for a salon
business in this area now.

School play and sport programs are better thought of as charitible donations
than advertising.

Free Internet and social media formats are really the only options that I see a
return on-- aside from good, old-fashioned word-of-mouth-- if they are looking
for a nail tech, they will ask Google. So my biggest marketing challenge is to
make sure that Google and I remain tight. Which requires maintaining a
significant web presence.

Everything I do is free, but GOOD GRIEF are you spot on with the words "time
consuming!" I'm trying to keep current with 2 FB accounts (personal and salon,)
website/blog,Twitter, mulitple photo hosting accounts (Flickr, photobucket,
picasa,) and social photo sharing sites like Instagram and Tumblr. At least I
can link most of them all together now. But then I have to keep up with
comments on each site too. It takes almost as much time to "advertise" now as
it does to work.

Maggie Franklin:
Owner & Artist, The Art of Nailz, Visalia CA
 "Visionary rebel dreamer; obviously way ahead of my time."
Maggie Rants [and Raves]@Nails Magazine
Facebook

>________________________________

 litter!!!!!!!!! Beauty schools were booked solid of the nail
classes...........Clients even went to school and became nail
techs............The supply and demand of nail techs!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> But our industry changed, as new salons opened up, from different
>> nationalities, Mom's started going to other salons, and took their little
>> girls.  Little girls grew up, and like Mom's they went and had their nails
>> done.  These little girls had NO IDEA, that there was a career in the nail
>> industry, they ASSUMED, that the best was what they were brought up with.
>>
>> No little girls going to school, salon owners can't find nail techs, the
>> young generation has no clue that money can be made, or even WORSE, nail
>> techs giving up and blaming their lack of business on these salons.
>>
>> So no wonder this little "25 year old" girl has NO CLUE..........too funny
>> but makes you think how our industry has changed
 soooooooo much in the last 15 years.