On 10/9/07, Sean Figgins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joe Abley wrote:
>
> > No, there's a fixed overhead from having N x Merit FTEs doing NANOG
> > stuff year-round, housing NANOG servers, being covered by UMich
> > insurance, accounting, blah, blah. I'm not an accountant, as you can
> > probably tell, but I think that's the right high-level answer.

Just out of curiosity, what is the breakdown of those numbers?  I mean,
> how many FTE is NANOG using from Merit, and how many servers in Merit
> managing for NANOG?  Are any of the servers shared with other Merit
> projects, or are they self contained?  I don't really care to know the
> financial information, as that is between the SC and Merit.

Check out Betty's slides at:
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0702/community.html

The big $$$ is to the hotel - $105K for 1 mtg.

A close second biggest cost looks like the staff cost - shown as "Salary"
and I would add in the "G&A". This is for 2-3 FTEs spread across a bunch of
folks who collectively handle the load of NANOG activities. It looks like
Merit allocates 1/3 of this expense to each of the 3 meetings.  If there
were 2 meetings, the staffing costs would be allocated across 2 points.  The
bottom line, I think you need a few FTEs no matter how you manage NANOG.

Having fewer meetings decreases the revenue while keeping the 2-3 FTEs
constant. Probably leads to a greater net loss.

My conclusion is that more revenue is needed, more sponsorships, more
beer-n-gear revenue, more NANOG commemorative mugs and boxer shorts.

And find a way to knock down the hotel expenses somehow.

BTW - I didn't see the ARIN $50K contributions in the budget on this page.
Maybe Cisco should kick in $50K in kind and we don't need to have this
conversation ;-)