> The idea of dividing into specialties seems to upset a few
> people.  I'm not sure if that's because they're afraid
> they'll miss some discussion, or if it's because they're
> afraid somebody will miss them discussing something.  If the
> former, specialty lists shouldn't cause them any problems --
> they can just join them all.  If the latter, I don't have a
> whole lot of sympathy.

Blogs handle specialties a lot better with tags. If the new list
is not just mail-ops but includes all Internet service ops stuff
which is peripheral to the core list, it allows us to experiment
with tags. If tags are included in subject lines, it makes I
easier for procmailers to filter them. Or people can subscribe
to an RSS feed with only the tags that they want.

Then again, maybe what we really need to do is to think even
bigger in terms of getting all the content from all the other
special purpose lists, flowing through some kind of a NANOG
newscenter which tags them and sorts them and creates a
whole set of tagged RSS feeds for people to subscribe to.

--Michael Dillon