On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Alex Pilosov wrote:
MLC suggests to change the AUP to:

7. Postings to the list must be made using real, identifiable first and
last names, rather than aliases.

I'd like community feedback on this.

I (still) think that this is bollocks.  What matters isn't "real,
identifiable first and last names", but "a consistent identifier associated
with consistent behaviour over time".

Do I care who Aleph1[0] really is?  Nope.  Do I care that Aleph1 has a
consistent pattern of behaviour, and can be reliably found as such? Yes.

Beyond that - how do you decided what a "real, identifiable first and
last name" is?  Are we using baby name books?  Is "Moonunit Zappa" any
more (or less) valid than "John Smith" or "Fook Yu" ?

Bah.

cheers!
[0] Yes, I know the name on one set of their gov't ID, at least - does it matter? No.
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."