On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Cat Okita wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> > MLC suggests to change the AUP to:
> >
> > 7. Postings to the list must be made using real, identifiable first and
> > last names, rather than aliases.
> >
> > I'd like community feedback on this.
>
> I (still) think that this is bollocks.  What matters isn't "real,
> identifiable first and last names", but "a consistent identifier associated
> with consistent behaviour over time".
Well - how would we phrase a policy which would prohibit obvious things
like n3td3v while allowing aleph1 and others previously mentioned?

> Do I care who Aleph1[0] really is?  Nope.  Do I care that Aleph1 has a
> consistent pattern of behaviour, and can be reliably found as such? Yes.
>
> Beyond that - how do you decided what a "real, identifiable first and
> last name" is?  Are we using baby name books?  Is "Moonunit Zappa" any
> more (or less) valid than "John Smith" or "Fook Yu" ?
I understand the dilemma just as well. Problem is, if MLC says "you can't
use this alias but $person can" - we'll be accused of being infair.

So its either
* permit all aliases,

* permit aliases that are in MLC's judgement sufficiently established and
identifiable,

* deny all aliases

Any other suggestions how to make a decision whether alias is OK without
...well, MLC having to make a judgement? :)

Possibly, just permitting all aliases and judging based on the content of
contribution is a better way? If someone contributes, does it really
matter it is an alias? If someone is trolling, does it matter they use
their real name?

-alex