David Barak wrote:

--- Cat Okita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, David Barak wrote:
I don't think the corner cases (people who get stalked, people who only have
one name, etc) invalidate the general value of requiring that
postings to a list ostensibly devoted to professional matters be associated
with one's name.
I think the corner cases (and preserving privacy and
separation) are
decidedly important - but it's easy to claim they're
irrelevant if you
don't happen to be one of them...

Corner cases are the ones which should be solved by
working out case-by-case solutions.

The solution worked out may have been satisfactory to you, but was decidedly painful and difficult for me. I came to my own solution, and have lived within it. Had I still been working, or otherwise continued to be in a situation where it was necessary, I'd probably have subscribed as something innocuous, via gmail. Still, as Cat said, it's a lot easier to claim they're irrelevant if you're not in that position.

Of course, I could be missing something...
        To      : David Barak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Perhaps I'm missing something here ;>  Is that your
professional email
address? *grin*

That's what I am describing: attach a real name to a
handle (much the way Etaoin Shrdlu did).
Oh, but that isn't why I did that. That change was just made today, about 6 or 7 hours ago. The original agreement had been that, for nanog, I'd put my real name in the signature, and, had I felt compelled to post to nanog, I'd have done so. However.

*My* solution for NANOG was to just quit posting, and I did. You have absolutely not seen a post from me since. I was assured that I did not need to make that effort here, since this is, after all, a meta-discussion of the mailing list, and so I've continued to post here. I continue to disagree with the policy, but am abiding by it.

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life,
the clearer we should see through it.