> Personally, I have a hard time understanding much of the
> opposition to including real names along with one's handle -
> yes, future employers may look at the assorted NANOG
> archives, but if one's content is good, that would be an
> asset, not a liability.

What!? Forcing people to use their real name would improve the quality
of NANOG content!?

We can't have that, now can we.

I disagree that there is such a thing as a well-known alias in the NANOG
community, where I define the community as the over 10,000 people who
read the list. The number 10,000 comes from the approximate total of
subscriber addresses (both per-message and digest subscribers). The
actual number of readers is probably larger than this because some
addresses are gated into private mailing lists and there must be some
people who read through the web archive.

But, maybe this whole alias issue is a red herring and we shouldn't
worry about it so much. After all, there is nothing magical about real
names, even if we tend to use a reserved vocabulary to form them. They
are merely labels for a person. The list AUP should be more about
content of the messages and less about which labels the writers use.

--Michael Dillon