> We were all beginners at once, and limiting the participants
> to the 5 or
> 6 North American networks that would fit into the category of
> large would just be completely pointless, and a sure thing to
> signal the end.

NANOG has always been a forum *IN* North America *FOR* all people
worldwide who work in Internet network operations. If you look at the
first sentence of section 3 (Mission) of the NANOG charter, it reads
similarly.

> But, lets be serious.  Most of the large networks probably
> don't care about NANOG.  They have smart people, and access
> to smarter people, and have very large pull with the vendors.
>  I doubt that they are going to learn much here that they
> don't already know.  NANOG is really for everyone EXCEPT the
> large networks.  It's for the people that are still learning,
> and companies that are still growing, small to medium size networks.

Which is why it is still appropriate to revisit beginner topics
from time to time. It also helps the archives because people are
less likely to read, or trust, older messages.

Of course, we could build up a NANOG FAQ, but maybe that is too
much like work.

--Michael Dillon