A carefully selected set of stratum 0 sources for a set of stratum 1 servers is
the heart of good NTP source design. With at least four “local” stratum 1
servers, Dr. Mills algorithm is excellent at distinguishing truechimers from
falsetickers and providing a reliable source of monotonic time. DOS is a
separate problem.

My NTP network deployment experience for a major auto manufacturer, among
others, is in agreement with William Herin. A GPS NTP source is a valid Stratum
0 source, but relying on a single instance for local time is not exceedingly
better than querying time.apple.com <http://time.apple.com/> or a similar
source.
-
James R. Cutler