From: "Mel Beckman" <m...@beckman.org>
To: "Mark Tinka" <mark@tinka.africa>
Cc: nanog@nanog.org
Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2023 2:26:37 PM
Subject: Re: NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

Mark,

You might consider setting up your own GPS-based NTP network. Commercial
Ethernet GPS-sourced NTP servers, such as the Time Machines, TM1000A, are as
little as $400. Or you can roll your own using a Raspberry Pi or similar nano
computer with a GPS module and antenna. We use these exclusively in data
centers now rather than depending on Internet NTP servers, primarily for
security, because financial transactions in e-commerce can be sensitive to
false time information. There are also a variety of NTP-based Internet attacks,
so if you can block NTP at your border you’ve eliminated another attack
surface.

-mel via cell