According to Jay R. Ashworth <j...@baylink.com>:
>data I heard that that *was* a registry-side hold (and hence it didn't matter
>that it was NetSol).  Or perhaps that NetSol was still the registry for .net --
>that's out of date now, isn't it?

Uh, yeah, Verisign spun off the NetSol registrar over 20 years ago in late 2003.

In early 2003 Verisign turned .ORG over to PIR, but they kept .NET and
.COM which they stil have. They are also the registry for a bunch of
small ccTLDs and new gTLDs. They paid $135 million in the auction for
.WEB which they may eventually run once the legal challenges are
settled.

NetSol was bought and sold and merged several times and since 2011 has been
part of web.com.