On 07/07/2024, 01:06:59, "Robert McKay via NANOG" <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:
People aren't used to URLs not ending in .com or possibly their local ccTLD.
Anything else looks suspicious or isn't even recognised as a URL and less
people will visit it.

True but when you are multinational you probably have a .com plus a
lot of country ones, even if they just redirect, to avoid local
fakery. It gets quite messy protecting the brond and the more domains
you have the easier it is to fool someone to accept another similar
one. One definitive name can be help.

 It doesn't even make your URL shorter because you'd need to include "www." in front to
have any chance of it being recognised as a URL. Perhaps even "https://www."; to drive
home the point.

When I did ours I had a test site the.bbc up for a while until google
started pushing traffic to it. It seemed a lot nicer to say on air
than www.bbc.co.uk / .com, and nicely authoritative.

I hope it will be used eventually.

brandon