On Apr 20, 2010, at 12:55 PM, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2010-04-20, at 15:31, Roger Marquis wrote:
>
>> If this were really an issue I'd expect my nieces and nephews, all of whom
>> are big
>> game players, would have mentioned it.  They haven't though, despite being
>> behind
>> cheap NATing CPE from D-Link and Netgear.
>
> I have heard it said before that there is significant cooperation and/or
> software engineering work between some or all of those who make residential
> gateways and those who make multi-player games to achieve this end result.
> The opinion I heard vocalised at the time was that it would have been a lot
> easier to reach this state of affairs if there had been standardisation of
> NAT in v4 at an early stage. As it is, peer-to-peer apps like games require
> significant if-then-else to make anything work.

The fact that they work is usually due to uPNP or another inbound NAT-T
solution.  All of these will be very unlikely to work in an LSN environment.
None of them work in a multilayer NAT environment.

>> Address conservation aside, the main selling point of NAT is its filtering
>> of inbound
>> session requests.
>
> If that was all that was required, you could sell a stateful firewall that
> didn't do NAT, and everybody would buy that instead because it would make
> things like iChat AV break less. Apparently there are other reasons to buy
> and sell devices that NAT (e.g. my ISP gives me one address, but the laptop
> and the Wii both want to use the internet).

In IPv4, yes, there are other reasons.  (Address conservation).  In IPv6, it
shouldn't be a problem to sell a stateful firewall that doesn't do NAT.

Owen