Eric,

> Jeff Richter in "Applied Microsoft .Net Framework Programming" argues
> against using the asterisk.  I'm not sure I buy his argument, but I
> respect his opinion.  In addition, I like having a deterministic nightly
> build number, or more often if I build releases multiple times per day.
> Accordingly, I like having more control over the entire version number.

Can I ask one thing? Why bother modifying AssemblyInfo.cs anyway? What I'd
do is just nuke that file from my builds. Instead, just have some other file
(say, a .txt) containing the latest build number used, then, from the
buildfile, generate a .cs with just the version attribute into a known
location from the txt file, and then include _that_ file as part of my csc
tasks.

Seems like much easier to me, and less problematic, anyway...

--
Tomas Restrepo