How is that different from just having .cs file (say,
AssemblyVersion.cs) that only contains the version attribute?  It's one
file instead of your two.

It's beginning to sound like my VersionTask isn't what people are after,
so I'll just keep it to myself and not put it in the Nant source.
Thanks for all the valuable input.

Eric.