Simon,
I assume you are talking about the quiet attribute. I'm wondering how this overlaps with previous discussions about logging level. ie if the logging level is at a certain level write the error otherwise don't. I'm not sure there is a need for the quiet attribute on individual tasks.

I think that there may well be cases where you do want a different log
filter level for a particular task. For example, I may run the majority of
my build with only errors being shown, but I'd want to see full verbose
output for a particular task - say running tests or something like that.
Some kind of base Task attribute which allowed overriding of the filter
level on a per task basis would be (IMHO) important in a filtered log.
Especially as most users have no control over what the developer believes to
be a warning/error or quiet/verbose.
yes it does seem useful. And having it in a base class is the right thing to do - rather than added on an ad-hoc basis.
Just my two english pence...
thats a whole 3.79 yen for me. I'm based in Tokyo right now :)

Ian