Was I understanding correctly from an earlier e-mail that:

<delete>
        <fileset>
                <includes name="${the.file.I.want.to.delete}" />
                <includes name="${or.the.whole.tree.I.want.to.delete}"
/>
                <includes name="${some.file.that.does.not.exist}" />
        </fileset>
</delete>

Would accomplish the same thing as this proposed patch?

My reasons for being -1 on this:
1) A user who previously intended his builds to fail because of the
absence of a file or directory when trying to delete it would now have
lost the ability to accomplish that, with the only workarounds being
not-yet-existing features.
2) A user that wants to accomplish what Gert suggests can do like the
above.
3) In spite of previous comments, when I turn my English-to-Geek
translator loose on this thread, it still keeps popping up "Valid; adj.:
Just like Ant" and "Invalid; adj.: Different than Ant"
4) Metaphors about honey, vinegar, and catching flies.

In short, I'm liking the thoughts on where this feature is going, but
I'm not wild about the "hurry up and commit this!" vibe when there seems
to be a decided lack of consensus.  Personally, I'd rather see one of
the proposed "available" "exists" or the embedded function stuff added
-prior-, so that we don't end up with an interim net loss on
functionality.

Of course, if I'm speaking ex-rectum regarding the fileset and delete
interaction, then my argument is reduced to: "D00d! Chill!"

:)
Brian