John,
I'm not that familiar with cvs branching either. I use perforce mostly. Instructions at
http://www.psc.edu/~semke/cvs_branches.html

seem to cover it though. Creating a release branch sounds like a good idea.

Ian

I'm a little fuzzy on CVS (I use subversion for most of my work).  Can we
create a 0.8.3 release branch?  If we do, we can restrict checkins on the
branch to bug/doc/release note changes and everyone else can go on their
way.  If a branch would cause too much overhead, I think we should restrict
checkins until the release which *should* be the end of this week.  If the
release date slips, I would argue for a branch so we don't build up a big
backlog.

John C Barstow