On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Gert Driesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> great to see that one of the driving forces

thanks

> behind Ant is also interested in NAnt :)

More and longer than you think. ;-)

<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=463245&forum_id=863>

I'd think that Ian and Gerry would remember that.  I've never
unsubscribed since then, but must admit that much of the things you
discuss are simply beyond my knowledge of .NET (close to zero ;-).  To
me you are talking about "böhmische Dörfer" as we'd say in Germany
(bohemian villages?).

It seems as if our main customer (talking about real life now) insists
on switching to .NET as their strategic platform of choice as Tomcat
isn't as nicely integrated into IIS as they'd like it.  So I have some
personal drive to take a closer look at NAnt.

One side effect is that I've helped Steve (very little, mainly via
testing) to get Ant's <csc> into shape for Mono.  There is no way I'd
also leave my Unix environment for development.  IIS in VMWare for
testing may be OK, but other than that ... 8-) The result is that Ant
1.6's <csc> seems to work reasonably well with Mono 0.28 on Linux as
well as Mac OS X.

I'll probably stick to Ant instead of NAnt myself as there'll always
be a Java VM on my system anyway - and I love to contribute to Ant
(and have some dogmatic problems with NAnt's license, you know -
probably my fault, not yours).

Should I change the subject from "NAnt and Ant" to "NAnt and Stefan"?

OK, NAnt and Ant.  From what I understand they started out very close
to each other and have developed independently - and come to similar
results in some places nonetheless.  Ant 1.6 allows all tasks to live
as children of <project> for example.

I'd love to share ideas between the projects, I'd love to use the same
concepts and I'm sure other Ant developers feel the same.  There are
obviously some areas where we have different opinions, the "Ant should
not be used as a scripting language" dogma for example.

If you want to take my mail as a fresh start to revive cross-community
discussions, that's great.  I'm not sure which forum would be the best
one for this type of discussion, though.

Stefan