----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian MacLean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gert Driesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Scott Hernandez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Clayton Harbour"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Nant-Developers (E-Mail)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [nant-dev] fileset deprecations

> Gert Driesen wrote:
>

> >I was also thinking about a "warnaserror" switch, similar to what the MS
> >compilers have ... But I'm not sure that's a good idea, as every warning
> >that is logged would cause a build failure, and we currently even log
errors
> >without causing a build failure ... Guess we'll have to think about this
> >some more ...
> >

> sure but thats what you expect when you use such a switch.

yes, definitely ...

> We don't even display warnings at the moment do we ?

Not for extra attributes/elements, no ...

> Another option is to have a
> dedicated switch -strict or -failoninvalidelements (  horrifically long
> ) that will fail only on invalid structure warnings - ie
> elements/attributes that aren't valid.

Maybe yes, but I think we could also use the warnaserror for both purposes

> >It would ofcourse be great to actually output a summary at the end of the
> >build, something like :
> >
> >Build succeeded, with 5 warnings.
> >

> +1. Shouldn't be too hard to maintain a collection of warnings.

No definitely not ...

> >>But I would suggest that you go through and run
> >>a lot of tests before you do this. There are still some tasks/types that
> >>correctly do their own <element/> process that this method may flag as
> >>errors. As I remember. I went through a cleanup a lot of them a year
ago,
> >>but much has changed since then.
> >>

> >the NDoc task would be one of those ... I think you added a ProcessXml
> >property or something right ?
> >

> We could just not do strict checking for any Task/Element that overrides
> the InitializeTask method.

A lot of tasks (I think) override InitializeTask to just perform checks ...