Mike wrote,

> It would be a mistake to build any logic to parse VS2005 solution
> files into NAnt because that file format is almost certainly going
> away in the next version.  (The only reason it's not an MSBuild file
> now is because MS basically didn't have time to finish it for VS2005).

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with that. Using MSBuild to perform the
actual build is a great idea. Nant is so powerful in so many other areas it
doesn't loose anything by pushing the compiling work over to MSBuild
(especially when you consider that MSBuild may be used to compile for/target
Mono [http://blogs.msdn.com/jomo_fisher/archive/2005/08/31/458658.aspx]).

But at the same time there are a couple things you can do with <solution>
that I haven't found easy to replicate with an <msbuild> task. The show
stopper for me at the moment is getting MSBuild to direct all build outputs
to a particular folder (I'm not saying it can't be done...I just haven't
found a solution that is as nice as the 'outputdir' property of the
<solution> task).

Considering the progress that Martin has made with the <msbuild-solution>, I
don't think it would take much effort to add support for <solution>'s
'Solution' property.  VS 2005's sln format is not that much different to VS
2003. I don't know about any proposed changes to the 2005 sln format (except
to say I wouldn't be surprised if they do....they have always in the past),
but that bridge can be crossed when we come to it.

I also think that having a <msbuild-solution> will make it clearer to Nant
users of a relatively smooth migration path for updating Nant scripts to
work with VS 2005.

> However, it's also not important: msbuild.exe knows how to parse the
> solution format.  It doesn't matter if you supply a project file or
> solution file, it will just build.

Agreed. I just need to work out a way to mimic 'outputdir' functionality
that I used with <solution>.

Andy