> The response(s) so far were almost unisono: NO.
> Summary (rough):  We like Tcl and we are happy with
> C/Tcl server as-is now. There is no need for any
> alternative page-construction language (PHP, JS,
> whatever) because what we have is good (enough)
> and its fairly easy to learn Tcl anyway, so why
> bother with anyhing else?
>
> It is good to know where are we when thinking about
> evolvement of the server code for the next few years.

PHP is available, thanks to Vlad. We already use the latest version on a
production system with NaviServer. We needed to integrate some PHP code from
a customer and are happy to do it with NaviServer. You can evaluate code in
both directions: PHP from within TCL/ADP pages and TCL from within PHP.
That's nice. (**)

I did not answer to your original mail because (a) I don't know if it would be
the best strategical solution in your specific situation to let new
candidates introduce an additional language you (and your colleagues) have to
take care of and build knowledge, rather them learning the language the
company is familiar with; and (b) if Server-Side Javascript is or becomes
a 'Hype', worth enough to integrate.

That said, I never understood why every effort to introduce a new language to
the webserver over the last years crashes everytime on the
TCL-is-so-great-and-Hypes-come-and-go-firewall. I doubt one would need a
level of integration and status TCL has with the server to see interesting
combinations of the new possibilites and to attract more people to the
server. What's so bad (besides working effort) to try, fail or succeed?

Bernd.

(**) Of course, the natural brother and sister are a forking Apache and PHP,
so you don't run into threading issues some binary PHP extension might have.
On the production system we have modest requirements for the PHP interface we
needed to integrate.