On 13.12.2006, at 16:54, Vlad Seryakov wrote:

Is it possible to have TclVfs code compile time or realtime configurable?

I started that (configurable) way. Then we talked (I cannot recall exactly when)
and decided to put it hard-wired all the time.

Instead of using direct open/read/write calls, we now use
Tcl equivalents of them.  It is not trivial (yet it is possible)
to make that adjustable.

But before anything is done in that direction, we first need to
see wether this is really a bottlenect somewhere or not. I guess
the only real problem (if at all) would be the fastpath code.
I think ADP is not affected as ADP is grossly influenced by the
Tcl/DB performance and not by the opening/closing and reading
from files.

I guess, if you suspect that tcl abstraction calls incur some
speed penalties, we can have a look in the fastpath code how
to temporary fallback to open/read/close and see if this makes
any change or not.

Cheers
Zoran