In the version we did for AOLServer 3.4.2, which relies on our
proprietary event-notification subsystem, we:

(1) Put a place in the startup .tcl script where over-rides from a local
file would be used (using "source"). That way, the file output from live
settings could be the equivalent of:
   ns_section "x"
   ns_param p v

without changing the file we ship for customers. This made it somewhat
easier to edit with Tcl (since it only uses these two commands and is
always generated, not hand-edited).

(I say "the equivalent" above because we do some fairly strange things
to map between sections/parameters and our configuration "topicspace"
that I don't want to go into here.)

(2) Our configuration variables are marked with whether they are "no
restart" or not.  The backend that implements "change this variable"
returns a flag indicating whether restart is required, and our GUI puts
an indicator up if that's happened.  Actually, we also set another
global state variable to "configuration changes make restart required"
so any instance of any console can show an appropriate flag.

This mostly works OK, though we do occasionally have to train
administrators with the question "When you changed that, did the console
tell you you needed to restart? What happened when you restarted?"

As far as calculated or enabled configuration settings go, we model all
of those as "restart required" settings.

-- ReC