Telco equipment owned by a telco service provider is typically not
required to be "Listed" or "Recognized"  to a UL standard unless it
resides at the customer premise (per Bellcore GR-1089-CORE).  Ameritech
also requires all of its equipment to be Listed or Recognized regardless
of location.

By the nature of the "standard form factors" used by the telco providers
(i.e. T400, T200, E220, D4, D5, SLC 2000, SLC 96, BR1/10, etc.) it is in
many cases impossible to meet the creepage and clearance requirements of
UL 1950 3rd Ed., EN60950, AS/NZ 3260, IEC 950 etc.  It is also not
possible to meet the voltage requirements for TNV in section 6 of these
standards on many products especially span powering/powered products.
These span powering/powered products such as ISDN, HDSL, T1, have
voltages between conductors of between -200 and +130 VDC continuous.  UL
1950 3rd Edition only allows up to 60 VDC.  The other standards only
allow up to 120 VDC.  Also telco owned equipment does not necessarily
isolate the telco interface from the -48VDC battery voltage or other low
voltage circuitry.  This is also not allowed under any of the
derivations of IEC 950/UL1950.

Therefore, UL 1459 is the ONLY safety standard which much of this
equipment can be evaluated to.  UL-1459 does not impose creepage or
clearance distances, but rather uses a dielectric test.  It is not
uncommon for trace spacings to be less than .25mm in telco equipment and
still pass the 1000V dielectric test(not that I would recommend that).
UL 1950 might require trace spacings of several mm and an earlier E-mail
from someone suggested 6.0 mm.

I'm stumped as to how much of the telco owned equipment will be able to
be listed after 2000 when UL-1459 goes away.  With the telcos wanting to
go farther with higher speed data, the only way to get it any distance
is by using span powered range extention products which are span
powered.  Therefore voltages exceeding the 60 VDC limit must be used.
In addition, the telcos are not going to remove or throw away billions
of dollars worth of channel banks and equipment shelves simply due to a
change in safety standards.

I guess we'll let Bellcore, UL and the telcos figure out how to handle
this mess.

Jim

James Wiese
Regulatory Compliance Engineer