Doug,

I've been in the same situation.  Here is basically what I believe to be
correct based on multiple conversations with ITS and UL regarding UL
1950 3rd Edition and EN60950 amd 4.

1.)  At first glance, it would appear that UL 1950 3rd Edition would
require basic insulation between your T1/E1 and SELV.  This is pointed
out in Table 0.1 under basic insulation.  However, if your SELV is
ungrounded, note 4 states that basic insulation only applies if your
E1/T1 voltage exceeds SELV limits under normal operating conditions
(i.e. 60 VDC).  Of course, only operational insulation is required
between TNV and SELV if SELV is reliably grounded per the operational
section of Table 0.1.  Section 6.2.1.2 states that basic insulation or
better must be used between TNV and unearthed SELV, however UL and ITS
have agreed that note 4 of Table 0.1 superseded this requirement and the
basic insulation is only required if the TNV voltage exceeds SELV
limits.

2.)  EN60950 amd 4, IEC950 amd 4, and the proposed incorporation of
amendment 4 into UL 1950 3rd Edition all support the above conclusions.
Amendment 4 creates 3 types of TNV circuits.  An T1/E1 circuit that is
dry (no DC) would be a TNV 1 circuit.  As such Table 19 shows that all
that must be accomplished between TNV 1 and SELV is meeting clause 6.4.1
which is basically just a dielectric test of 1000Vrms although you could
also do the impulse test.  There are also provisions for connecting TNV
1 to SELV directly in certain instances.  Norway will not accept this if
the product has a ground connection.  By the way, UL accepts amd 4
revisions even though it is not officially published.

3.)  The tricky part is that Table 0.1 requires Reinforced or double
insulation between TNV and primary circuitry.  This is where calculating
creepage and clearance can be confusing.  In the united states, most ITE
is 120VAC Therefore creepage with reinforced insulation between TNV and
a 120V primary would be 3.0mm for a pollution degree 2 material group
IIIa or b based on Table 6.  If your product only had basic insulation
between SELV and primary (1.5mm) you would still need 1.5mm of creepage
between TNV and SELV (basic insulation at 120V) to achieve the
reinforced insulation.  The voltage on your Telco is insignificant
compared to the primary voltage.  In the U.S. it is acceptable to obtain
double insulation by using basic insulation between primary and SELV and
then reliably grounding your SELV circuit which acts as a earth screen.
In Europe however this is not always acceptable since some countries
either do not use ground or have very unreliable grounds.  Since Europe
uses 230/240VAC, you can extend the above example to that and get a
creepage number of 5.0mm.

4.) The easy way to do this is to make sure you have reinforced between
SELV and primary, this eliminates the need for creepage and clearance
between your telco circuit and SELV since reinforced exists already
between SELV and primary.  Of course this is overkill in some countries
and the U.S. where you could ground your SELV and have the basic
insulation between SELV and primary to create the double insulation
required between TNV and primary.

5.)  Another easy way is to power your product with a reinforced wall
pack transformer.

Hope this helps,
Jim

James Wiese