Hello,

oh I just realised that there was in fact a bit shifting error in the
"readADC()" routine. Embarassing. I did not see it the whole day. OK
now the data is correctly transferred into the PIC, next thing to
check will be the multiplication (because the values are still off by
about 20V). Or this might be due to the external crappy reference
voltage:

There is no point in using the external reference, I know. I think I
confused the MAX1242 with the MAX1243 who does not have an internal
reference. This Nixie voltmeter is only a prototype, in the final
version I will probably go for the internal ref. I will have to check
if I have some resistors at home that will work with the 2.5V.

I'll let you know if I have further success, many things to check now.
Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks a lot,
Jens