Hello Gaston,

> Jens,
>    David gave you sound advice. A voltage regulator fitness for a
> given task is not only related to precision. It also has to do among
> other things with repeatability (its ability to reach a voltage every
> time it is started),

Yes, but I have measured the voltage several times to check and it was
"stable" 4.99V, at least on my multimeter.

 and what I think could be generating problems to
> you, regulation as a function of the load. We are talking of 10 bits,
> what means we are talking of ~5 mV per bit full scale assuming 5 volts
> full scale. I think that if for some reason you don't want to use the
> internal ref (I can't imagine why, but I'm not in your shoes), then
> you can always use some cheap reference or shunt regulator like the
> venerable TL431.

Thanks for the tip. I am using the MAX1242 ADC from Maxim. I also have
the MAX1243 here that does not have an internal reference. So I will
think about the TL431 when using the MAX1243, thanks!

> Also, be very careful with the ground layout. This things are
> disturbed by the movement of a mosquito wing ;)

Thanks for the tip. The problem is that I am not a professional
engineer, I have "learned" my stuff by trial and error, since I have
never had a real teacher for electronics. This semester at the
university I will take a course called "electronics", and if it is any
good, it will be the first time I learn something correctly about
electronics. I have also never used ADCs before, so this is my first
project with them.

The voltmeter I have built is a prototype for the final voltmeter that
I would like to build into an adjustable power supply for my Nixie
tubes. I am not planning on designing a PCB, all I do is solder the
components on my board and then wire them manually on the back. I am
afraid that reasonable "ground layout" is not really possible with
this technique.

But since I only need an accuracy of about 1V, it is quite OK what I
achieved with this "babaric" solution ;-) I hope I will get the
schematic and some pictures of the board online soon, I bet you guys
see a lot of things that can be improved.

All the best,
thanks for your thoughts,
Jens