|  ... I am not planning on designing a PCB, all I do is solder the
|  components on my board and then wire them manually on the back. I
am
|  afraid that reasonable "ground layout" is not really possible with
|  this technique.
|
|  Jens

Actually it is, if you use copper clad perf board:

http://cid-f9db37b8211ce831.office.live.com/self.aspx/Project%20Photos/Clock01%5E_6a.jpg
http://snipurl.com/1b1tlq

But the bottom line is, is the signal clean enough ? If it is then
don't put too much more effort in it. That'll only cost you more time,
and/or money. Both of which may make the wife throw something at you.
So you want to keep the cost down, in whatever units your using.