Hey Dylan,

cool video, many thanks.

    If you've got any kind of spark coil, you don't need a vacuum
gauge. The color of the discharge in the gas remaining in the tube
will tell you the vacuum.

Sounds nice! But I think I like the absolute measuring better because this way I can measure Paschen's curves which require the absolute value.

  You'll really need a 2-stage pump to attain enough vacuum (i've been
using an old Welch for 15 years)..

That is the dream, but very expensive I fear. The pump I am planning to buy only costs 60 EUR, for a two-stage pump I would have to quadruple that amount...

   I've made 95% of my bulbs and tubes without any kind of vacuum
gauge, except this method.
   A manometer with the oil from your vacuum pump will work fine- you
won't need mercury. (except to add to the nixies later to prevent
sputtering)

But I reckon for light bulbs you need a much better vacuum than for Nixie tubes, right? I mean, I am just beginning here and trying to get something glowing. In the university, I am not allowed to add mercury, since it is against their safety regulations... But as a long term idea it is definetely worth to be considered.

     To really get the tubes to last 10,000 hours or more, you'll need
to 'bake' them. That is, to run your vacuum manifold partially under/
into a kiln..

Oh yes, another expensive dream :-) The first idea I had was to wash it with a little bit of my Penning mixture so that the wildest impurities will be removed.

Dylan, you manufacture very amazing light bulbs. How long are you in "the business"?

Best regards,
Jens