Howdy Jens-
   If you've got any kind of spark coil, you don't need a vacuum
gauge. The color of the discharge in the gas remaining in the tube
will tell you the vacuum.

 You'll really need a 2-stage pump to attain enough vacuum (i've been
using an old Welch for 15 years)..

   Once the pump has gotten to the maximum ( about .01 torr) , there
will be no glow in the tube at all- just a vague blue from the glass.
   This is called 'blackout'- anything else ( a higher pressure) is
just not enough.

  I've made 95% of my bulbs and tubes without any kind of vacuum
gauge, except this method.
  A manometer with the oil from your vacuum pump will work fine- you
won't need mercury. (except to add to the nixies later to prevent
sputtering)

    To really get the tubes to last 10,000 hours or more, you'll need
to 'bake' them. That is, to run your vacuum manifold partially under/
into a kiln..

   This video will give you some ideas/info.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4WVRKkmww

   Cheers-
 -Dylan