Michel,

you need something to ionize the gas atoms inside your glass bulb. I am not sure if a simple LED will do the trick, usually you need energized particles in the order of 60eV, that is electron volts, and a blue LED will only give you 3 eV.

Jens

Thanks for all your comments.

I think that if the tubes wouldn't strike for whatever reason, those
problems can always be solved in the software. Another thing that
might help striking them quicker in darkness is the 3 backlight LEDs,
I can let a small current flow through them while the tubes are off.
Since they are very close to the tubes, there will be lots of photons
entering the tubes. The nature of the design is that should the tubes
not immediately strike, the voltage will slightly increase (up to
about 10%) until they do.

Anyway, I have not tested this in every detail, but I trust that there
is always a solution around the corner in case something doesn't work.

Michel