I actually start off with a 3.6V 1/2AA battery, the higher the input
voltage, the lower the currents will be. This will reduce some of  the
losses in the 'HV switcher'. I know that most 1/2AA batteries cannot
supply the required current, but a few can and it's a good choice as
they are smaller than a CR2. Of course that is not the whole story,
the circuit itself is quite complex as I couldn't find a single IC
that would do the same job.

Apart from that, I added a daylight sensor and will PWM the tubes
according to the amount of daylight. I used the same circuit in
another design with LEDs. Believe it or not, but I went from 5mA in
bright daylight down to 50uA (40dB difference) in pure darkness,
always keeping the LEDs on a constant contrast compared to the amount
of ambient light.

I don't expect to get 40dB out of the nixie tubes, but I think 20dB
can be achieved. This would bring the current down from 200mA in
bright daylight to 20mA at night, keeping the display always readable.
Even 40mA would be good enough as this will already significantly
improve the efficiency of the HV circuit.

The processor will be put into deep sleep mode between readings
(drawing about 1uA) and wake-up either by a soft touch button or an IR
motion sensor. Not sure if I can fit the IR motion sensor on the final
design, but I try my best.

So all together, it will be very low power.

Best regards,
Michel