On 3/31/12 3:28 PM, Dylan Distasio wrote:
Hi all-

I've been circling back to the nixie clock project I am working on that
starts with a base kit of 6 IN-14s each with their own module that
contains a PCB with a 74141 on it.  I have never used shift registers
before, but finally got around to some initial experiments driving one
74HC595 with an Arduino connected to one set of 74141 inputs (ABCD) to
keep things simple.  I was able to get the different digits lit up based
on my code, but am wondering if I am missing something in terms of ease
of use here.

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan,

A clever programmer will figure out how to use the Arduino's SPI port with the 74HC595s to eliminate all the software work of banging out the bits. I've never used an Arduino, so I don't know how it's done. I've used this chip with the PIC SPI port, and it works.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ