HI William, I am a realative newbie to programming so I think what I did would
be easyer to understand. I have already done what your are asking for I have a
arduino connected to 3x 595's for 24 Output pins also I wrote a code for it so
it changes based on a RTC. It was for a art project where I made a clock with
strips of led light 12 hours and 12 minute segments = 24 pins. I can email you
the code if you would like.
It should be easy to modify the bits to corspond with binary.