On 3/31/12 3:28 PM, Dylan Distasio wrote:
Hi all-
I will need three 74HC595s if I go this route (6xABCD, 8 registers per
595 IC).  The techniques I had come across on the Arduino consisted of
serially feed bits to the 595 until all 8 registers per chip were full.
  It would seem like I need to send 24 bits each second as the clock
ticks.  The fact that I have to do this serially one bit at a time seems
like a pain in the neck.  Am I missing something (I'm sure I probably
am) in terms of being able to set all 24 in parallel?

There are two aspects to using a shift register. The first is sending the bits. This happens one at a time, no matter how you do it, because there's only one data line.

The second aspect is when the display gets updated, which occurs when you send a pulse on the latch enable line, which causes the contents of the shift registers to get loaded into the output registers. That's when the display changes.

I'm assuming that you have wired the 595s in a string, with data out from the first going to data in to the second, and all the clocks and latch enables and resets wired together and driven by one Arduino pin each.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ