Hi Everyone
I have looked more into this during the day. The performance of John's
flyback converter is indeed impressive but since space is extremely limited
this time I will need to implement the SMPS on the main (only) PCB. I think
that it will be more fun that way too =)

A flyback transformer seems to give higher conversion ratios, but I am
puzzled about it being an isolated topology by nature.
I plan to use charlie-plexed cathode drivers driven by the uC directly and
I don't want to use transformers or optocouplers to isolate so many signals.
Admittedly I haven't looked too much into flyback converters, but if it is
not possible to connect the grounds on the primary and secondary side I
don't see how this path is feasible.

Some weeks ago I stumbled over some interresting app-notes from Maxim and
Linear that described a simple modification that can be made to the simple
boost topology.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1109
http://www.edn.com/design/power-management/4317951/Tapped-inductor-boost-regulator-deliver-high-voltage

A "tapped inductor boost converter" might be just what I need. It is very
elegant really, split the inductor in two and connect the switch to the
center tap. Sometimes such inductor is called 'autotransformer' since only
one winding acting on itself. When the energy of the magnetic field is
dumped during the discharge period there will be a substantial voltage gain
since the number of turns in the second part of the inductor is greater.

1, Does anyone have experience in this or a similar topology?
2, There does not seem to be that many inductors available seems limited at
best.
Maybe I am just using the wrong phrases when I search. Any ideas on
suitable inductors are appreciated.

Best Regards
Anton