The more I read about SMPS variants that use a tapped inductor I get more
convinced that it will work out.
Not only is the voltage gain improved by an order or so, but the voltage
stress in the switch will be very much limited as well.
This should allow me to choose a cheaper, and in many senses better MOSFET,
maybe even settle for a regulator with internal switch.

In the end it all depends on which inductors I find. A very last resort is
to wind it myself but I do see it as an option albeit I don't look forward
to it.
Autotransformers for these frequencies seems very unusual, if they exist at
all.
The "generic" flyback transformers seems to be very flexible but I am a bit
concerned about how much leakage inductance I will get sine the secondary
winding is split several times.
My best hope is to find an ordinary flyback transformer with a suitable
turns ratio, saturation current and inductance. Of course there will be
some leakage due to the forced midpoint interconnection on the PCB, but it
should be manageable.

/Anton