Hi everyone

> *It seems to me that if you wired it as an autotransformer, you'd get a
> 1:6 unit.*

 Hmm you're probably right, since the inductor discharges through both the
primary and secondary winding.

*Are you thinking of operating in flyback mode? *

Yes, this is based on a modified boost converter, so energy will be
transferred to the secondary only during (1-D).
It seems that forward converters are more common than flyback converters
but I would like to avoid the extra inductor and rectifier.

*Looks like all it involves is a couple of capacitors, a FET, and a diode.
>  Should be something you could add to an existing design, although it
> might be a technique that only applies to forward converters (I need to do
> more reading, apparently). *

Active clamps can be used in any topology that use inductors with more than
one winding, but the controllers with built-in driver for the auxiliary FET
are meant for forward converters according to their data sheets.
This is actually something I have been wondering about:
*Is there a substantial difference in controllers meant for flyback or
forward conversion? Or can such controller be used for in any topology?
*
It is indeed possible to implement the auxiliary driver with discrete
components, but I don't think it is a good idea, since the dead-band in
between must be controlled extremely carefully.
Otherwise the dissipation in the switch will be extreme.

*but I'm unsure why ringing would be a problem.*

When the switch closes the current in the leakage inductance (which is in
series with the switch) don't have anywhere to go.
Instead the voltage will increase which just might destroy the switch
completely, or at least shorten its life time.
A more detailed analysis reveals that the leakage inductance will actually
resonate with the output capacitance of the (closed) switch.
By adding an RC snubber network in parallel the ringing can be damped in
several different ways (under-, critical- and overdamped).
This type of snubber will however consume som energy which will reduce
efficiency.

Another bad effect of the ringing is that the transfer of energy from the
magnetizing inductance to the secondary will not start until the potential
at the midpoint of the coupled inductor (transformer) has reached the
reflected output voltage.
In simpler words this means that the energy will not be transferred
efficiently until the ringing has ended.

Also the ringing will be a good source of EMI. This might not be a huge
issue in hobby electronics, but now that I know about it I can just not
forget about it =)
*
*

> *There's a nice discussion of snubbers here:
>
> http://softsolder.com/2009/03/06/rc-snubber-resonant-design/*

 This was a great reference, and that is the way I would proceed with the
design of an RC snubber network, at least when it comes to the measurements.
I do think that the text lacks a bit of the details, and I would probably
do an analysis in the laplace-domain, see how the poles move when R and C
is changed (root locus method) and choose their values based on that.
If the RC snubber don't catch the peak voltage I might need to put an RCD
snubber across the primary winding, but I think simulation in Spice will
reveal that.
As you see this is actually a quite advanced procedure; with active clamp
there is just one clamping capacitor that I need to choose. I also think
that the size of the clamp capacitor is not as dependent on stray
capacitance either.

Best Regards
Anton