Thanks for the education, David!

-Adam

On 8/14/2012 8:23 AM, David Forbes wrote:
On 8/14/12 8:17 AM, Adam Jacobs wrote:
That's a good idea, especially if you can get them for cheap. I think
the 2032 might even have a higher maximum current draw than the 9v.
(Probably a lot less total power, though). Do they make lithium 2032's?
I guess that would spoil the point of "cheap", though.

How about silver oxide 357 cells? Those are dirt cheap and very tiny
(although only 1.55v instead of 3v).

-Adam

Adam,

Lithium 2032s don't make many milliamperes - alkaline 9V batteries are better at that. Also, all 2032s are lithium - there is no alkaline 2032.

The reason that alkaline 9V batteries are able to make a lot of power is that they're full of cylindrical cells. The flat coin cells don't have much surface area, whereas the cylindrical cells are rolled, so they have a lot of area. Surface area makes power.

I learned all this while looking for batteries capable of running a Nixie watch, ten years ago.