> However, if I'm making my own nixies, I'd be interested in making them
visibly distinct from existing ones.  If I want a CD-66, I
> can just go buy one (unless I want a CD-66 with 30mm digits).  If I want
a nixie with Böcklin or Klingon digits, I'll have to make
> my own.

Thats it, I plan (faaar far future :-) to come up with a small series of
nixie tubes, once this will be possible I want them to be unique, so I am
considering also changing the digits.. I had thought about some art-deco
look, I love that :-)

> There's also a mechanical consideration - thicker digits will be more
rigid and stable, and should survive longer.  However,
> this thickness can be in material thickness or stroke width.

This is one thing I am afraid of - bending or the thin digits, mine are
only 0.4mm thick, so it is not easy to make them flat. More rigid digits
would be better..

> > Once I have working tube (as close as possible to original) I can play
and change things inside..

> Absolutely.  Coming up with digit shapes is likely not the most difficult
problem in making nixies.

> > Have You made something working with mentioned digit graphics?
>
> Not as of yet.  My original plan was to photoetch them, but I just heard
from someone who's making custom variable
> capacitor plates, and has access to a water jet cutter.
>
> I've been pricing the little ceramic rings used as insulating digit
separators, and they're expensive, so now I'm thinking