The wires to the nixies are 10 to 20 cm long. The output of pin 3 on the
555 looks like this in the highest voltage where the problem exists.

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U2MTDu_zPGE/UZFc8Iif_1I/AAAAAAAABI4/4hwtpldobew/s1600/2.jpg>

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--3BV9BSqQo4/UZFc4DKTUiI/AAAAAAAABIw/Vxo5mGBwA1I/s1600/1.jpg>