2013/8/28 NeonJohn <j...@neon-john.com>:

> On 08/28/2013 01:28 PM, Dalibor Farný wrote:
>> 2013/8/28 NeonJohn <j...@neon-john.com>:
> The enviro-nazis have made manufacturing lead glass tube very difficult
> so it's practically unavailable.  Last time I heard, there's a factory
> in the Czech Republic still making it.

I know only about companies producing leaded glass for bowls and other
decorative glass.. Not tubing..

>>  the atmosphere (composition and pressure)
>> around 0.1 - 0.001% of Argon with Neon, total pressure around 20torr
>> and higher, lower pressure means that numbers becomes fuzzy. In latest
>> tubes is also a mercury present, the amount is not critical. Only
>> thing I dont know is whether the mercury has an impact on breakdown
>> voltage..
>
> That "around" thing is the problem.  I'm sure lots of research went in
> to perfecting the gas mixture and pressure, something I don't think you
> want to have to duplicate, thus the suggestion to have a known
> long-lived one analyzed.

There is detailed graph of pressure and breakdown voltage for
different NeAr mixtures, but generally everything below 1% of Ar is
good. It is in a book Weston: Cold cathode glow discharge tubes. The
higher the pressure is, the lower is velocity of the particles
bombarding the electrodes, so the lifetime is higher. This is at least
what I read. But the higher pressure also means higher breakdown
voltage, so a compromise is necessary. The main thing that influences
the lifetime is a presence of the mercury vapours inside (5.000 vs
200.000 hours), I found in one old patent that the amount of mercury
is not critical.. Ron Soyland discovered one z566m (or zm1040?) with
intact mercury capsule - they were not able to crack it during
manufacturing. We counted the volume and found that there was 2.5mg of
mercury, I would start at that amount..

anyway, thanks for info that mercury doesnt affect breakdown voltage..
I will have to experiment with mixtures..

Dalibor

> A wide range of pressures will "work" but the lifetime looks like an
> upside-down "U" around the optimum pressure.  For example, I can load a
> 15mm tube with anywhere from about 2 Torr to 20 Torr but the long life
> point is 12 Torr for short tubes and 8 Torr for long ones.
>
> At least with neon, the mercury does not affect the voltage drop across
> the tube.  The argon/neon ratio is the primary determinant.

> John
>

> --
> John DeArmond
> Tellico Plains, Occupied TN