> Thanks, is there any source how to calculate the amount of the mercury
> needed? I would google it, but I am finding only "how much mercury in fish"
> and other encouraging stuff ;-)

It gets interesting.  You'll need to multiply the volume of your envelope by
the partial pressure of mercury at the cool spot temperature.  Then you'll have
to figure out how much mercury this is.

There's a good writeup on partial pressures of mercury here:

http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~eandrei/389/NISTIR.6643.pdf

Note that this is slightly affected by the other gases in your enclosure, by
Dalton's law:

http://library.thinkquest.org/12596/dalton.html

That said, it looks like the partial pressure of mercury is around 1e-3kPa at
standard temperature.

A mole of mercury vapor is 22.4 liters at standard pressure (101kPa) (ideal gas
law) and weighs 200g.

Assuming you had a volume of 10cc, you'd have 10/(22.4*1000) * 1e-3/101 = 4e-9
moles.  That, times
200g/mole yields 9e-7g of mercury, about 1 microgram.  So that's the amount of
mercury vapor it would
take to fill your 10cc volume at a cold spot temperature of "standard
temperature" at equilibrium.  That,
unfortunately, doesn't do you a lot of good, as you'll need excess liquid
mercury to maintain equilibrium,
plus the amount of mercury required to actually adsorb to your cathodes to
protect them, and get wasted
sticking to other surfaces.  And these amounts utterly dominate the amount
present as vapor.

As you pointed out earlier, commercial tubes seem to use on the order of 2.5mg
of mercury, which is
big enough to measure out, and certainly sufficient.  I've seen liquid mercury
beaded up in nixie tubes,
so too much (within reason) doesn't seem to be a problem.  I understanding not
wanting to waste it,
but I'd just kick in 2.5mg.  Mercury is cheap, and if you have some left over,
it costs much more to
dispose of it than to obtain it in the first place!

While researching the above, I found this lovely page that discusses gas
discharges, and touches
on mercury and its effects on ionization and resonance energies.  It's a good
read, and includes amusing
phrases like "collision of the second kind".

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/dischg.htm

- John