  From: Dalibor Farný
  To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 6:35 PM
  Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Something for the tube/nixie making people?

  2013/8/30 Nick <n...@desmith.net>

    From: neoni...@googlegroups.com [mailto:neoni...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Dekatron42

      Sent: woensdag 28 augustus 2013 23:29

      To: neoni...@googlegroups.com

      If I remember correctly there is at least one patent on Nixies that
mentions 2.5mg and/or 3.5mg of mercury, and it also discusses several methods
of releasing the mercury from the small glass capsules - I can't find the
patent right now but I think it was a patent by Burroughs as I remember that
one picture showed exactly how they have done it in their B5092 Nixie.

    ISTR that this was done by having the Hg in a small piece if glass
capillary tube (a few mm long, maybe 4mm?) and released by induction heating.
This is how the Hg was measured too - just dip the end of the small capillary
tube in to a pool of Hg and a standard amount is drawn up. You can see these
empty capillaries in the bases of some larger tubes...

  There should not be any air in the capillary, You have to prepare a procedure
on its end will be a small sealed capilalry tube with tiny drop of mercury but
*without* air, just a vapours of mercury. Once cubic millimeter of air will
have a volume of 40 cubic millimeters in a tube with pressure around 20torr and
that would certainly lead to shorter lifetime.. The getter could take care
about it, but it is quite clumsy solution.

  --
  Dalibor Farny
  http://dalibor.farny.cz