Nick, thank you for the swift reply.

I've scanned in p340, here <http://s23.postimg.org/t1sp4km0b/page196.jpg>.
The book is the exact one in the reference.

On this page Weston explains the impact of digit cycling on lifespan. The
point of a gradual rather than abrupt end of life is also made. However I
was not able to find the aforementioned 50% threshold. I also checked p240
and p140. Could it be that it is somewhere else in this chapter? I
am conscious this would appear as pedantic, but the quoted end of life due
to loss of luminosity comes down to this important threshold.

Dalibor, certainly. The work revolves around single-cathode tubes, but the
theory and experimental setup are directly applicable to any indicator
tube, handmade or not. We should discuss more.

Regards,
Alex