On Wednesday, 2 October 2013 15:55:46 UTC+1, AlexTsekenis wrote:

> Nick, thank you for the swift reply.
>
> I've scanned in p340, here <http://s23.postimg.org/t1sp4km0b/page196.jpg>.
> The book is the exact one in the reference.
>
> On this page Weston explains the impact of digit cycling on lifespan. The
> point of a gradual rather than abrupt end of life is also made. However I
> was not able to find the aforementioned 50% threshold. I also checked p240
> and p140. Could it be that it is somewhere else in this chapter? I
> am conscious this would appear as pedantic, but the quoted end of life due
> to loss of luminosity comes down to this important threshold.

Finally  checked this - you are right - the actual references to
end-of-life are in paragraph 2 of page 334 where he considers EOL to be
either a discontinuous glow over the digit or the glow spreading to
elsewhere in the tube. I know I've seen the 50% reference somewhere else,
so I'll have to dig through my library.

I'd forgotten what a comprehensive book Weston is - lots of good stuff
about sputtering in there, including detailed analysis of cathode
materials, their performance and lifespan with and without Hg doping...

Nick