I may be answering my own question (rant). I found this discussion at Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/11913364/

Seems German Customs needs to see an invoice accessible from the outside. I
tend not to ship any paperwork. Only the required Customs Declaration
pasted on the box. I think I'll have to invest in these:

<http://atlanticpoly.com/images/envelopes.jpg>